Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume retention issues

2008-04-16 06:15:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume retention issues
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:14:14 +0300
"Jacques Botha" <jacquesb AT fnb.co DOT za> kirjoitti viestissä
news:1208335644.7521.32.camel AT f2821966.fnb.co DOT za...

> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:37 +0200, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> > All the backups work fine, and my schedule runs nicely, however 2
>> days
>> > later, the first backup volumes are still on disk, making the SD run
>> out
>> > of disk space.  How can I make bacula drop those volumes ?
>>
>> Limit the number of volumes per pool, i.e. set "Maximum Volumes" to
>> something reasonable (at least enough for three backup cycles, in my
>> opinion and usually).
>
> Which brings me to ask more questions :)
>
> If I limit the maximum volumes per pool, and the backup size is hard to
> predict, it means that:
>
> - for large backup sets, I'm going to run out of volumes, and it will
> start to recylce volumes which data I still wanted to keep

No, the volumes won't get recycled before retention periods allow it. Larger
sets just means volumes will grow bigger (unless you limit their size, or
run out of disk space which will result in an error condition)

> - for smaller backup sets, I'm over allocating volume space in the hope
> of not running out of volumes, wasting space.

Since you are using volumes on a disk, the disk files used as volumes will
start with zero size and grow only as needed by your backup jobs.

> Neither scenario is ideal.  Is there no better way ?

Unfortunately, there is no way to escape the need of having enough space for
backups you want to run. But, if you limit the maximum number of volumes,
and the volume size, it limits how much the volumes may use your disk space.
If your backups don't fit into existing volumes when maximum number of
volumes is reached, Bacula will recycle oldest existing volume if retention
period allows it -but the volume won't get automatically destroyed when
volume retention expires, so you actually would have some older data still
available if space requirement does not force to recycle.

So, you could have eg. maximum of five volumes, but set the retention time
so they could be recycled already after eg. 3 complete sets that you wish to
fit into a single volume each. With "complete", I mean a set of backups that
start with a full backup, followed by the incremental or differential ones.

I've sometimes wished a way to explicitly force start using a new volume
(ie. marking the previous one "used") when a certain full backup job is run.
This way, the previous volume would be ready for recycling earlier. Could
someone advice if there is a decent way to do this? External run-before-job
scripting does not sound nice for this purpose. And playing with volume use
duration falls too easily out-of sync with jobs run.

Regards,
Timo