Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume retention issues

2008-04-16 05:57:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume retention issues
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula-Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:57:21 +0200
Hi,

16.04.2008 10:47, Jacques Botha wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:37 +0200, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>>> All the backups work fine, and my schedule runs nicely, however 2
>> days
>>> later, the first backup volumes are still on disk, making the SD run
>> out
>>> of disk space.  How can I make bacula drop those volumes ?
>> Limit the number of volumes per pool, i.e. set "Maximum Volumes" to
>> something reasonable (at least enough for three backup cycles, in my
>> opinion and usually).
>
> Which brings me to ask more questions :)

Good ;-)

> If I limit the maximum volumes per pool, and the backup size is hard to
> predict, it means that:

First of all, in my experience predicting the amount of data you've
got to backup (more specifically, the growth) is rather reliable after
a few backup cycles.

>       - for large backup sets, I'm going to run out of volumes, and it will
> start to recylce volumes which data I still wanted to keep

No.

What you want to keep is defined by the retention periods. Volumes are
never recycled while they are not yet expired.

So, at worst - and that's usually what I at least want - if you run
out of volumes you get notified.

>       - for smaller backup sets, I'm over allocating volume space in the hope
> of not running out of volumes, wasting space.
>
> Neither scenario is ideal.  Is there no better way ?

Just set up pools as needed - like one pool for smaller backups with
shorter retwntion times, one for big backups with long retention
times, and so on. Start with a reasonable number of volumes that you
can preallocate or let Bacula create.

Run a few backup cycles and add volumes as needed.

Estimate the data growth.

Add volumes to allow one or two years of backups, according to the
estimated data growth.

Lean back and watch Bacula doing its job :-)

Of course, if you're using disk volumes, it's a good idea to create
them on devices and filesystems you can grow on the fly... when you
run out of space and the hardware is still suitable, you just add more
disks and go on.

That at least is what I usually do.

Arno

--