Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume retention issues

2008-04-16 04:38:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume retention issues
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula-Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:37:51 +0200
Hi,

16.04.2008 10:22, Jacques Botha wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to bacula, so please forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question.
>
> I've setup a 1 day volume retention period for testing purposes, here is
> my client file which I include into my bacule-dir.conf:

> FileSet
> {
>         Name = basenode01-fs

For future filesets I recommend you don't create a file set per
client, but rather one per client type. In many cases you'll have lots
of similar servers, and having identical filesets to manage is a waste
of time...

>         Include
>         {
>                 {
>                         compression = gzip8
>                         signature = SHA1
>                 }
>                 File = /etc
>         }
> }
> Pool
> {
>         Name = basenode01-full_pool
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         RecycleOldestVolume = yes
>         Use Volume Once = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         Volume Retention = 1 day
>         Maximum Volume Bytes = 100m
>         Label Format = basenode01-full-
> }
>
> Pool
> {
>         Name = basenode01-diff_pool
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         RecycleOldestVolume = yes
>         Use Volume Once = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         Volume Retention = 1 day
>         Maximum Volume Bytes = 20m
>         Label Format = basenode01-diff-
> }
>
> Pool
> {
>         Name = basenode01-incr_pool
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         RecycleOldestVolume = yes
>         Use Volume Once = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         Volume Retention = 1 day
>         Maximum Volume Bytes = 5m
>         Label Format = basenode01-incr-
> }
>

> All the backups work fine, and my schedule runs nicely, however 2 days
> later, the first backup volumes are still on disk, making the SD run out
> of disk space.  How can I make bacula drop those volumes ?

Limit the number of volumes per pool, i.e. set "Maximum Volumes" to
something reasonable (at least enough for three backup cycles, in my
opinion and usually).

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann