Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with the retention periods

2008-04-11 15:37:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with the retention periods
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:36:54 +0200
Hi,

11.04.2008 17:58, Roberto Nebot wrote:
> Hello folks!
>
> I don't understand how bacula is working or may be I misunderstood the
> bacula documentation. When you stablish for example a volume retention
> period of 4 days for example each job is deleted older than date is
> purged from the director jobs no matter if the directive job retention
> period or file retention period are set for a longer period of time.

Right. I assume that's what you observe as it matches the
documentation and my own experience.

> So every time that I do a list jobs in the director daemon a lot of
> jobs are not there, so I can not use list jobs as a log of the
> job that have already launched during the time bacula is installed on my
> servers.

Correct. The catalog holds the information about the data Bacula has
stored. It's not a log of all things that Bacula did.

> Is bacula working like this or I just misunderstood the bacula's way of
> work? and if that is the case what can I do to solve the problem?

Well, first of all there is the question why and if you need a log of
what Bacula did.

If you want that, you can use several approaches:
- In the catalog, copy the relevant information to another table or
database for later reference.
-Have Bacula log its job executions, for example by using a "Run After
Job" script that prints the relevant data to a log file.

Would these options do what you need?

Arno

> Thanks in advance.
> Roberto