Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bwx-console

2008-04-07 04:27:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bwx-console
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:26:03 +0200
Hi,

07.04.2008 09:51, Chun Kit Hui wrote:
> Dear Arno,
>
> I suspect it's the problem of the wx-console, bconsole (command line) on
> windows works well with the UTF characters (as all my systems are using
> UTF-8 for filename encoding).

Good, that makes things a bit simpler (at least for the user).

> If wx-console can handle and display UTF-8
> correctly, I think it will be ok.

Unfortunately, wx is not as good there as it could be. That's one of
the reasons why bat was developed using Qt as a toolkit.

As there is bat in development, I don't think wx-console will be
developed further - bat offers much more to the user, has a much
better usability, and will be the preferred graphical console for
Bacula. Unfortunately, as of now, it's not yet available for windows.

vnc and bat on a linux machine works fine, though :-)

> By the way, do u happen to know any
> WebGUI when handles UTF-8 nicely for bacula? Especially when choosing
> file from the file set for restore.

I tend to mostly use bconsole for Bacula operations, and don't have
much experience with the available web clients.

As far as I know, though, bweb plus brestore is a flexible and very
powerful web front-end for Bacula. It is a real task to set it up,
though...

Arno