BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Debugging Excludes

2017-05-29 17:24:40
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Debugging Excludes
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 17:23:48 -0400

Richard's suggestion for excludes did not work for me: backuppc was not excluding my files. Dieter's suggestion for excludes is working for me. I'm getting excludes and includes and not getting a bunch of empty folders in the backup. My host config looks like this:

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {   '*' =>[  '**/Thecus Audio',  '**/incremental-backup',  '**/Wordpress_Backup',  '**/NAS_Module_Source_',  '**/FM_and_Computer_Backups',  '**/USBCopy',  '**/_Module_Folder_',  '**/eSATAHDD',  '**/USBHDD',  '**/NAS_Public',  '**/Time%20Machine',  '**/_NAS_Picture',  '**/iTunes_music'  ]};

However, based on googling rsync discussions, I'm betting that it will work without the ** in front of the /  For example, from the web:

A user running rsync had his entire source directory in an exclude.txt file:

rsync -Paz --exclude-from 'rsync-exclude.txt' /home/chris/ [email protected]:LinuxHome

where rsync-exclude.txt has this content:

/home/chris/Downloads/*
/home/chris/Downloads/
/home/chris/Downloads/*.*

The response was:

59down voteaccepted

The problem is that you are specifying complete directory paths.

With rsync, all exclude (or include) paths beginning with / are are anchored to the root of transfer. The root of transfer in this case is /home/chris

But since you're just trying to sync your home directory, and there is no subDdirectory of /home/chris named home/chris/Downloads, it ignores your exclusion.

Try removing the /home/chris parts from your rsync-exclude.txt file.

Similarly, I'm amazed that Dieter's suggestion of **/ is working.

But I don't want to rock the boat and will try differently on the next machine I set up to back up.

Best wishes,

Bob