BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Debugging excludes and....

2017-05-29 10:27:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Debugging excludes and....
From: "Dieter Fauth" <dieter.fauth AT web DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 16:26:51 +0200
Hi Bob,
can you try this:
**/FM_and_Computer_Backup
(note the two asterisks)

On Mon, 29 May 2017 14:46:27 +0200, Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com> wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the help so far! Don't want to clog the list
with too many thank you notes!

I'm just getting my first backup of one computer sorted out. Method is
rsyncd.

1.  One of the excludes is not working. Its contents are showing up in
the backup. It's being done with an override for this host:

Include/ExcludeBackupFilesOnly
 OverrideNew ShareName or '*':  BackupFilesExclude
 Override/raid/FM_and_Computer_Backups

(Yes, I'm backing up a raid, but this is an essential machine and it
needs its own backup)
However, 'browse backups' is showing all the content of the excluded
directory FM_and_Computer_Backups. Here's an excerpt of 'browse
backups':

 FM_and_Computer_Backups .AppleDB .AppleDesktop .AppleDouble .Temporary
Items Computer_Disk_Images

and so on, all the way through every file that should have been
excluded. Any ideas?

2) xfer log shows that backuppc is "wasting time" listing each file in
a very large directory that is being excluded. Is that avoidable? I'm
pretty sure this directory is really excluded because there is nothing
showing in its contents in browse backups. But I also fear that the
system froze as the xfer log stopped about 2/3 of the way through
displaying this directory, which should have been excluded anyway. I
have seen rsync list excludes in a verbose list, so this behavior may
be an artifact of rsync.

3) Is it acceptable to use the shortcut %20 for a space in a file name
in an exclude? For example:

/raid/Thecus%20Audio

For the directory 'Thecus Audio".   I wonder if this is why the xfer
log is showing the system going through this directory, yet it is
supposed to be excluded?

3) Can I Override the blackout period for testing? I want to manually
continue this backup and watch its progress. In the CGI, will one of
these buttons "continue" the full backup which is active into the
blackout period? Is that possible?:

"Start Incr Backup"
"Start Full Backup"

4) Browse Backups. I can't always get it to shrink a list. The '-"
button on some directories is not working. But the master '-' button at
the top is working

Thanks for any help,

--
Many regards, Dieter Fauth :-)