BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Debugging excludes and....

2017-05-29 08:47:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Debugging excludes and....
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bobkatz24bit AT gmail DOT com
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 08:46:27 -0400
Thanks to everyone for the help so far! Don't want to clog the list with too many thank you notes!

I'm just getting my first backup of one computer sorted out. Method is rsyncd.

1. One of the excludes is not working. Its contents are showing up in the backup. It's being done with an override for this host:

Include/Exclude
BackupFilesOnly
 Override
New ShareName or '*':
BackupFilesExclude
 Override
/raid/FM_and_Computer_Backups

(Yes, I'm backing up a raid, but this is an essential machine and it needs its own backup)
However, 'browse backups' is showing all the content of the excluded directory FM_and_Computer_Backups. Here's an excerpt of 'browse backups':

and so on, all the way through every file that should have been excluded. Any ideas?

2) xfer log shows that backuppc is "wasting time" listing each file in a very large directory that is being excluded. Is that avoidable? I'm pretty sure this directory is really excluded because there is nothing showing in its contents in browse backups. But I also fear that the system froze as the xfer log stopped about 2/3 of the way through displaying this directory, which should have been excluded anyway. I have seen rsync list excludes in a verbose list, so this behavior may be an artifact of rsync.

3) Is it acceptable to use the shortcut %20 for a space in a file name in an exclude? For example:

/raid/Thecus%20Audio

For the directory 'Thecus Audio".   I wonder if this is why the xfer log is showing the system going through this directory, yet it is supposed to be excluded?

3) Can I Override the blackout period for testing? I want to manually continue this backup and watch its progress. In the CGI, will one of these buttons "continue" the full backup which is active into the blackout period? Is that possible?:

"Start Incr Backup"
"Start Full Backup"

4) Browse Backups. I can't always get it to shrink a list. The '-" button on some directories is not working. But the master '-' button at the top is working

Thanks for any help,