BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up Windows 7 Pro, not enough permissions

2017-05-17 07:19:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up Windows 7 Pro, not enough permissions
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 00:32:45 +0200
Hi,

Michael Stowe wrote on 2017-05-15 09:58:08 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing
up Windows 7 Pro, not enough permissions]:
> On 2017-05-15 05:20, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> > [...]
> > The share C is shared to network and user backuppc has full rights.
> > [...]
>
> There are a few important things to understand here.  One is that not
> all transport mechanisms are created equal when backing up Windows
> systems.

what a nice way to say that :-).

I'm not a Windoze expert at all, but I vaguely remember you (Michael) stating
in the past that there is a difference between the default C$ share and an
explicitly created share ... assuming my memory is correct, might that be
the issue here? I.e. does anything change if you (Tapio) explicitly create
a share and use that (or use the C$ share if you were previously using
something different)?

> At any rate, these reasons are why I personally switched to a
> combination of rsync and vshadow (to handle open files) and put together
> a package to install the proper files on the client side.

If I were in the unlucky situation of having to deal with Windoze hosts,
that is what I would use. From what I have read on this list, it seems
to be the best choice.

Regards,
Holger