BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error ' getaddrinfo is not a valid Socket macro' after upgrading to 4.1

2017-03-29 09:59:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error ' getaddrinfo is not a valid Socket macro' after upgrading to 4.1
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:59:06 +0200
Hi,

John Barton wrote on 2017-03-29 00:30:30 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Error '
getaddrinfo is not a valid Socket macro' after upgrading to 4.1]:
> [...]
> # perl -e 'use Socket; print $Socket::VERSION . "\n"'
> 1.82

for reference, I get the following for different Debian releases:

etch    1.78   (for the fun of it)
squeeze 1.82
wheezy  1.94
jessie  2.013

> From: Craig Barratt [mailto:cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net]
> [...]
> Try upgrading Socket.pm:
>
> sudo cpan
> install Socket

I'm not sure I agree with that idea. You're mixing a package manager
installation with a manual upgrade here. That's not only a cause of headaches
in the BackupPC case. I believe Socket is part of the base Perl distribution
(package perl-base in Debian), so you're messing up an essential core package,
and the package might even get its revenge by silently reverting your changes
on package upgrade. Or you might get a broken system. Or it might work (by
putting the module somewhere else in the module path).

For Debian, at a quick glance, I find the package libsocket-getaddrinfo-perl,
which sounds promising. I haven't got time to go more into detail right now,
though.

> I'll add a version check on Socket to configure.pl<http://configure.pl>.

Which version of Socket is required? Or rather, what is the exact requirement
- is it even a minimum version of Socket or rather the availability of a
specific function? I'm not sure if libsocket-getaddrinfo-perl adds this
functionality to the Socket class or provides an alternative in a different
namespace (or does something completely different) - I'll try to have a closer
look soon ...

Regards,
Holger