BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking for some comments on sizing.

2017-02-08 21:40:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking for some comments on sizing.
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 18:39:46 -0800
--On Wednesday, February 08, 2017 9:24 PM -0500 Scott Walker
<scott.walker AT framestore DOT com> wrote:

> And mainly unique files. so deduplication I'm not honestly concerned
> about. I just like BackupPC UI and it's easy of use and I'm wondering if
> this is a possible fit.

Deduplication and rsync are the big reasons I went with BackupPC. UI is way
down the list for me. I can learn any UI. Half the time I do my config
edits with a text editor, anyway.

I remember that at the time I was looking into backup solutions, Bacula
also looked attractive. That might be better suited to your use case.
(Bacula lacked deduplication at the time, and I was worried about storage
requirements when backing up lots of very similar systems. Even now, their
deduplication looks limited and complicated.)

<http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/File_Deduplication_using_Ba.html>

---