BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental forever - synthetic backup using ssh

2017-01-26 13:26:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental forever - synthetic backup using ssh
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:25:19 -0600
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Andreas Roth <andreas AT schosemail DOT de>
wrote:

> I need to backup a couple of hosts using a low-bandwidth connection. The
> daily diff on the filesystem is pretty small.
>
> Is it possible to have some kind of "synthetic backup" or "incremental
> forever" - like some commercial products name it? They using differencial
> backups to build a new full backup. Using this I could backup the host once
> and then only doing differencial backups.

If you are using the rsync or rsyncd xfer methods there is not a great
deal of difference bandwidth-wise between an incremental or full
backup, although the full make take a much longer time to complete
since it checks all the files.   In either case, only the detected
differences will be transferred.