BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] incremental forever - synthetic backup using ssh

2017-01-26 12:29:55
Subject: [BackupPC-users] incremental forever - synthetic backup using ssh
From: Andreas Roth <andreas AT schosemail DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:10:23 +0100 (CET)
Hi mailinglist,

I need to backup a couple of hosts using a low-bandwidth connection. The daily
diff on the filesystem is pretty small.

Is it possible to have some kind of "synthetic backup" or "incremental forever"
- like some commercial products name it? They using differencial backups to
build a new full backup. Using this I could backup the host once and then only
doing differencial backups.

At 4.0alpha3 documentation I found

"The reverse deltas allow "infinte incrementals" - no need for a full backup if
you are willing to trade speed for the risk that a file change will not be
detected if the mtime or size don't change." which seems to be the what I was
looking for.

Is there any way to use this feature also with v3 - as I would doubt that I
want to use v4 for production?!

Thanks in advance and Best Regards,

Andreas