BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental forever - synthetic backup using ssh

2017-01-26 13:11:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] incremental forever - synthetic backup using ssh
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 20:10:23 +0200
On 01/26/2017 07:10 PM, Andreas Roth wrote:
> Hi mailinglist,
>
> I need to backup a couple of hosts using a low-bandwidth connection. The
> daily diff on the filesystem is pretty small.
>
> Is it possible to have some kind of "synthetic backup" or "incremental
> forever" - like some commercial products name it? They using differencial
> backups to build a new full backup. Using this I could backup the host once
> and then only doing differencial backups.
>
> At 4.0alpha3 documentation I found
>
> "The reverse deltas allow "infinte incrementals" - no need for a full backup
> if you are willing to trade speed for the risk that a file change will not be
> detected if the mtime or size don't change." which seems to be the what I was
> looking for.
>
> Is there any way to use this feature also with v3 - as I would doubt that I
> want to use v4 for production?!
>
> Thanks in advance and Best Regards,
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

When using rsync, both v3 and v4 will always only transfer changes. In
v3 you can speed the process up further by using checksum caching. No
need to run incrementals even, since the difference is not in the data
transferred, but that the files' integrity is double-checked by
checksumming on the client when doing a full. In v4 this is even
smarter, as it is able to do pool matching before transferring, checking
if the new file already exists in the pool from a different name or host.

In other words, use rsync/rsyncd and you are all set.

The option in v4 relates to how the pool is checked and managed rather
than what is transferred. This is reflected as the fact that it is
somewhat feasible not to ever checksum the files. Note the word risk :)

Best regards,
Johan Ehnberg