BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket

2017-01-20 03:35:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 09:13:33 +0100
Am 20.01.2017 um 04:57 schrieb John Spitzer:
> On 01/19/2017 1:28 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM, John Spitzer <johned9999 AT comcast DOT net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The most likely suspect is that rsync timeout shown in the log snippet
>> you posted.  But you didn't provide any details about why or how your
>> rsync had timeouts enabled.
>>
> That rsync timeout is being set 'under the hood'.

No, I don't think so. If you use the rsync method, make sure your
RsyncClientCmd does not use the --timeout parameter or at least sets a
reasonably high paramter value.
ount
from man rsync:
 --timeout=TIMEOUT
     This  option allows you to set a maximum I/O timeout in seconds.
     If no data is transferred for the specified time then rsync will
     exit. The default is 0, which means no timeout.

An additional issue I had with this method at some point was that the
ssh connection was terminated, most probably by one of the two firewalls
involved. When doing large file transfers, rsync tends to take quite
some time doing checksums and the like in order to reduce the amount of
data to be transferred. This results in long times when nothing is
transferred over the ssh connection which in turn may lead a firewall to
believe that the connection is dead.
Setting the ClientAliveCountMax and ClientAliveInterval in sshd_config
on the client fixed this problem for me. Again, man sshd_config may help
you with details.

If you use the rsyncd method, you will have to set the timeout value in
the rsyncd.conf file on the client. From man rsyncd.conf:
 timeout
     This parameter allows you to override the clients choice for I/O
     timeout for this module. Using this  parameter  you  can  ensure
     that  rsync  won’t wait on a dead client forever. The timeout is
     specified in seconds. A value of zero means no  timeout  and  is
     the  default.  A  good choice for anonymous rsync daemons may be
     600 (giving a 10 minute timeout).

In one notoriously busy and slow server I had to set this to 3600
seconds in order to be able to backup DVD images.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter