BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket

2017-01-19 12:42:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:41:30 -0600
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM, John Spitzer <johned9999 AT comcast DOT net>
wrote:
> Because:
> 1. I have a dozen VMs, each of which would need a backup job. Much more
> complicated backup setup.
> 2. The VM would need to be running to backup,

Note that a consistent backuppc copy will only happen if the VM is not
running.   Also, at least with v3, backuppc will do an enormous amount
of work to back up a slightly changed large file via rsync.  That is,
it will uncompress and copy the whole original file while merging in
the changed bits and recompressing the new version and storing a
complete new copy.

> 3. I can only run a few at a time due to host system limitations. Make
> that work automatically would be much more difficult than just backing
> up the host drive.
> 4. I only run them when I want to experiment on something or for training.
> 5. Most are Windows systems and it's not clear that Backup PC can make
> an 'Image' backup that can be used to recover from a corrupt system (see
> 4). Of course with a VM I can make a snapshot to recover it.

Normally for windows you would need a base install to restore your
backuppc backup over.  That is generally not difficult to arrange.
Also you gain the storage efficiency of pooling all the duplicate
files across the systems if you back up the individual systems rather
than the whole image files.

> 6. If the host disk fails, it would be hugely more difficult to recover
> the dozen VMs, one at a time.
>
> But isn't it much more interesting that I've seem to have found some
> kind of limit to Backup PC?

I think you have found some limit in your network or setup.