BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NT_STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

2016-07-15 13:31:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NT_STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 12:29:55 -0500
On 2016-07-15 03:27, Kacper Kowalski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get this error message while making full back up of shared directory
> on other computer with WinXP and the backup stops so I can't make full
> backup although I tried it a lot of times. The error message appears
> in other directories for each try, so it's not a problem with
> particural files.
>
> Is this problem with my LAN or maybe some configuration issues?

In a nutshell, this is telling you that the smb layer is detecting data
corruption by failing its CRC check.  This usually isn't a LAN issue
(although it's certainly not ruled out) but it can be caused by
everything from a failing drive from viruses to software between the smb
layer and hardware layer failing (or failing to keep up) -- compression,
encryption, etc.

In short:  this is bad.  It can mean all your data is suspect.  If
you're *lucky*, it's corruption of the SMB shared libraries or layers on
the host system, and the data is intact; if you are unlucky, all the
data is corrupted.