BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC - restore not restoring file

2016-07-06 06:54:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC - restore not restoring file
From: "Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer" <Graham.Smith AT ittdublin DOT ie>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 11:53:58 +0100
The -h host is the hostname of the client that has been backed up as if there
are multiple backups of hosts with the same file it
needs to specify which one.

So for example say you want to pull back share of /etc from a host I suspect
you're looking to do something alone the lines of:

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h clientserver25 -n -1 -s /etc / >
/tmp/etc.tar

So in this -h clientserver25 refers to the name of a client you've already
backed up that you wish to restore a tar file from
as you may have countless clients with the same files and share names.

-n -1 refers to the most recent backup copies of files be they incrementals or
otherwise. You don';t need to worry about
exact paths within the backups taken, Backuppc will figure that out for you,
all you need to do is tell it to grab files/folders from
either a specific numbered backup or (using a negative value) a copy taken
relative to the most recent.

-s is the share name as specified in that client's config. This is coming from
$Conf{TarShareName} = '/etc'; or equivalent for
the host you wish to restore from. The next forward slash means everything
within that share and then redirect to a file as default is stdout.

The documentation could probably use a few typical usage examples and man pages
for the command line tools
like this to save a bit digging around in archives of this list.

Hope that helps

Graham

Graham Smith
Technical Officer