BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] R: Re: Full period

2016-06-23 06:49:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] R: Re: Full period
From: "absolutely_free AT libero DOT it" <absolutely_free AT libero DOT it>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:48:37 +0200 (CEST)
>Da: "Adam Goryachev" <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au>
>Data: 21/06/2016 12.17
>A: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
>Ogg: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full period

>What method are you using to do the backup?

Hi, I am using rsyncd

>Why does the backup take so long? Is it bandwidth between the two
>machines or something else?

I don't think so, this is iperf's output between one server and backup server:

# iperf -c xxxxxxxxxxxx
Client connecting to xxxxxxxxxxx, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 23.5 KByte (default)
[  3] local xxxxxxxxx port 54354 connected with yyyyyyyyyyyyyy port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.09 GBytes   935 Mbits/sec

>Potentially, using rsync or rsyncd will reduce the time to complete a
>backup, produce more accurate backups, and also reduce bandwidth
>consumption. Result is more backups, so better ability to restore
>if/when needed.
>
>Other than that, I don't think there is any way to automatically do more
>incrementals, short of increasing the FullPeriod to a higher value....
>PS, I assume day6 is nothing because even the incremental took 2 days to
>complete....

No, as I said, it tooks about 3 days to complete backup for my entire pool
(+100 server)