BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] A question about partial backups and fatal errors

2016-03-20 17:09:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] A question about partial backups and fatal errors
From: David Raison <david AT tentwentyfour DOT lu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 22:08:08 +0100
Hi,

Thanks for the additional guidance.

On 20/03/16 17:56, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Unfortunately we have still not managed to solve this issue or to even
>> > fully understand it. We have determined that indeed the Windows client
>> > in this example is sending a RST after a random duration, but we we're
>> > not quite certain how to get to the source of this, i.e. how to
>> > determine why it is doing so.

> Some more guesses:  anti-virus software slowing down access, something
> wrong with the network connection like a full/half duplex mismatch at
> a switch port, or not enough RAM to hold the directory tree loaded by
> rsync forcing disk paging.

I don't think a switch port or other network issue is at fault. The
backups are run over a VPN connection which is quite stable and we're
backing up other clients (Linux however) over the same connection
without any trouble at all.

Would this RAM shortage occur on the client or the server?

>> > Notwithstanding that we need to solve the problem with the client
>> > sending those RSTs, does anyone have any advice on how to get full runs
>> > to not start from scratch on each run?
> If the data is split into subdirectories, you might try adding one at
> a time and repeating the runs as they complete.

Would you do this by adding to $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} after each
successful run or by gradually extending $Conf{RsyncShareName} ?

Thanks,
David

--
TenTwentyFour S.à r.l.