BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] A question about partial backups and fatal errors

2016-03-20 12:57:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] A question about partial backups and fatal errors
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:56:46 -0500
On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 8:50 AM, David Raison <david AT tentwentyfour DOT lu>
wrote:

> Unfortunately we have still not managed to solve this issue or to even
> fully understand it. We have determined that indeed the Windows client
> in this example is sending a RST after a random duration, but we we're
> not quite certain how to get to the source of this, i.e. how to
> determine why it is doing so.

Some more guesses:  anti-virus software slowing down access, something
wrong with the network connection like a full/half duplex mismatch at
a switch port, or not enough RAM to hold the directory tree loaded by
rsync forcing disk paging.

> Notwithstanding that we need to solve the problem with the client
> sending those RSTs, does anyone have any advice on how to get full runs
> to not start from scratch on each run?

If the data is split into subdirectories, you might try adding one at
a time and repeating the runs as they complete.