BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem backup smb through DNS name

2016-01-26 10:03:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem backup smb through DNS name
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:01:44 -0600
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:07 AM, David Rotger <davidrotger AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a bind9 server running and working. When I try to backup a smb
> share from windows with host IP, the work fine. But if I put the dns
> name of the machine, backkuppc get this error:
>
> 2016-01-26 09:00:08 full backup started for share copia
> 2016-01-26 09:00:10 Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for
> share copia)
>

> why?!?!
>
> I can ping with IP and DNS name, and nslookup resolv the the host name and
> IP...

I've seen problems like that where the DNS name didn't match the
windows host's concept of its own netbios name.  A quick fix is to use
whatever name you want in the backuppc host setup but configure
ClientNameAlias as the IP address.   Just remember later if you add
hosts with the newhost=oldhost syntax to copy the config that you have
to manually change that entry.