BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How to deal with Server crash?

2015-08-31 20:03:51
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How to deal with Server crash?
From: "daveinredmond AT excite DOT com" <daveinredmond AT excite DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:02:19 -0400
I've been running BackupoPC for several years on an older Ubuntu server. I
recently started wondering how I would restore things if the server itself died
and needed to be replace. To that end, I installed BackupPC on a spare laptop
and attached last year's external backup drive to it to see if I could recover
files. While I was able to get BackupPC up and running with a copy of the hosts
file from the main backup system, it was unable to access any of the files that
I could see on the disk.

With that out of the way, my 2 questions:
1. What else do I need to have on the backup backup machine besides a recent
(or freshly created) hosts file?
2. What do I do about permissions as the uids don't seem to travel well?

TIA,
Dave