BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to deal with Server crash?

2015-08-31 21:23:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to deal with Server crash?
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:21:27 +1000
On 01/09/15 10:02, daveinredmond AT excite DOT com wrote:
> I've been running BackupoPC for several years on an older Ubuntu server. I
> recently started wondering how I would restore things if the server itself
> died and needed to be replace. To that end, I installed BackupPC on a spare
> laptop and attached last year's external backup drive to it to see if I could
> recover files. While I was able to get BackupPC up and running with a copy of
> the hosts file from the main backup system, it was unable to access any of
> the files that I could see on the disk.
>
> With that out of the way, my 2 questions:
> 1. What else do I need to have on the backup backup machine besides a recent
> (or freshly created) hosts file?
> 2. What do I do about permissions as the uids don't seem to travel well?
Make sure you create the backuppc user with a matching UID on your
laptop system. Probably best to create the user before you install the
package, otherwise the package will probably use a randomly allocated UID.

Otherwise, you will need to chown -R /var/lib/backuppc or wherever your
pool and pc directories are located.

I'm not sure, but you may be able to pass some mount options to map the
UID as another option.

Regards,
Adam

--