BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing Up Win7 with Michaels Tools

2015-01-24 07:57:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing Up Win7 with Michaels Tools
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 13:55:51 +0100
Hi guys,

finally got it working even if all the knowing people on this list still
enjoyed sleep ;)

A couple of issues in installing the solution to backup Win7 from
http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/. Most of them related to missing
docs, but that is the way how it works. Anyways: good job, Michael!

I will list the issues I had and how I resolved them:

1. Got "NT_STATUS_DUPLICATE_NAME" as the laptop has an ethernet port and
a wifi adapter and thus two IPs and two hostnames. Got it resolved by
using the IP address in "ClientNameAlias".

2. Got nothing back, winexe sit forever. No progress at all. This was
due to a missing path to the "at" command. Edited the preusercmd.sh and
added the full path to all commands (sleep, at): /bin/at.

3. Stated backup starting but nothing happened. Was related to the
firewall of Win7 not having port 873 opened for rsyncd. Had to add the
port manually (thought the install script did this step).

4. Got several errors related to "module not found [/cygwin/C] until I
realized it is the RsyncShareName BackupPC has configured in pc's
config. At first changed on the Win7 machine in rsyncd.conf to
[/cygwin/C] but got errors about illegal module name in diagnotics.txt.
So changed both to valid "C" (which ist the default in rsyncd.conf
anyways). I just was not aware I had to use the module name in
RsyncShareName.

5. Last, but not least I got auth errors and had to match what
credentials to enter at which stage. The windows admin is needed for
winexec. The RsyncdUserName and RsyncdPAsswd should match the
rsyncd.secrets on Win7 and the parameter auth users should be set to
this username (in rsyncd.conf).

Finally I got connection and it is currently backing up! Hurray!

Thanks again, Michael!  Perhaps you can improve the docs a little bit
with my above statements for other users.

Greetings

Christian