BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] "protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?"

2014-10-08 11:50:59
Subject: [BackupPC-users] "protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?"
From: HAL9000 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:48:56 -0700
Here is the command backuppc is running and when is returned if I run it in the
shell as the backuppc user.

" /usr/bin/ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=300 -p 222 -q -x -l Administrator
[DOMAIN] /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
-D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--checksum-seed=32761 --rsh=\\\'ssh\\\ -p222\\\' --ignore-times .
/cygdrive/g/ptree/
"

The character returned is apparently a question mark according to starpage.com
and even though it is included in the about output, is not showng up here. This
is occurring on Ubuntu 14.04 server and everything is uptodate. Cygwin on the
remote machine is also up to date. We also have a CentOS 6.5 machine running
the exact same command without any problems whatsoever.

Just now after pressing enter a few time I managed to get another error message
to come out after the strange question mark glyph:

"protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?
(see the rsync man page for an explanation)
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at
/home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.9-1/src/rsync-3.0.9/compat.c(174) [sender=3.0.9]"

I've gone ahead and tried to check and see if my shell is clean myself and it
appears to be so. The following command returns nothing in the text file.

rsh remotehost /bin/true > out.dat

Neither does this one:

ssh Administrator@r{DOMAIN] -p222 false

And rsync is indeed on the other end.

"ssh Administrator@[DOMAIN] -p222 "rsync --version"
rsync  version 3.0.9  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2011 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    no socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details."

Does anyone here know how to correct this?