BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using NFS to increase backup speed

2014-10-17 10:58:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using NFS to increase backup speed
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:57:27 -0500
On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
wrote:

> I was worried the full backup wouldn't complete in the limited time the BPC
> server in online.
> For practical reasons (well, because of the hd-space available really), the
> server used is off during nights in order to save some electricity.
>
> The first backup took some 17 hours...
>
> Today, I just checked, the first incremental backup took just under three
> hours, which is completely okay.
> I'll need to see how the next full backup performs with the speed tweaks I've
> done so far.

Incrementals will quickly skip over files where the timestamp and
length match the copy in the previous full run.  They do transfer more
each time until the next full sets a new comparision base.  So the
times you need to be concerned about are the last (usually 6th)
incremental in the set, and the 3rd full run after setting the
checksum-seed option).  These should show what to expect for
subsequent times.