BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Full backup not backing up all files

2014-10-14 05:51:12
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Full backup not backing up all files
From: Mikko Kortelainen <mikko.kortelainen AT techelp DOT fi>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 12:18:00 +0300
I have a problem with two BackupPC hosts, yet there's a further third
host that is working ok.

The problem is that a full backup does not seem to back up all files
on Windows hosts. An incremental backs up many more files than a full
one, or so it seems, looking at the version history.

On a typical C$ share, full backup omits directories such as Program
Files and WINDOWS. The incremental backs them up.

The only error messages I get are a couple of sharing violations in
the error log, but nothing that should fail those whole directories.

So far I have seen this on two BackupPC hosts, both Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
A third host which I have kept at 12.04 does not seem to suffer from
this. The BackupPC version on all three of them is 3.3.0. Smbclient
version is 3.5.11 on the 12.04 host and 4.1.6 on the 14.04 hosts.

For testing purposes, I set up one 12.04 host and one 14.04 host to
back up the same target with similar configuration files. Looking at
the XferLOGs, the total number of files on share C$ for the 12.04 host
was:

66691 filesTotal taking 9 GB on disk, while the 14.04 host had:
23910 filesTotal taking 6 GB on disk.

So around 40000 files of total 3 GB are omitted.

Full backup command is:

/usr/bin/smbclient -A /etc/backuppc/smbauth \\\\HOSTNAME\\C\$ -E -d 1
-c tarmode\ full -Tc -

Incremental:

/usr/bin/smbclient -A /etc/backuppc/smbauth \\\\HOSTNAME\\C\$ -E -d 1
-c tarmode\ full -TcN /var/lib/backuppc/pc/HOSTNAME/timeStamp.level0 -

Here's is a screenshot of the history page. Backups number 0, 2 and 5
are full backups, while the rest are incrementals:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8tcfJc8vLAkZW1UQ25qUTRtbzQ/view?usp=sharing

What could be the problem here? Something to do with the Samba version
(3.5 vs. 4.1)? What can I do to diagnose this?

-Mikko