BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full backup not backing up all files

2014-10-14 08:28:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full backup not backing up all files
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Mikko Kortelainen <mikko.kortelainen AT techelp DOT fi>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:26:17 +0200
Hi,

Mikko Kortelainen wrote on 2014-10-14 12:18:00 +0300 [[BackupPC-users] Full
backup not backing up all files]:
> I have a problem with two BackupPC hosts, yet there's a further third
> host that is working ok.
>
> The problem is that a full backup does not seem to back up all files
> on Windows hosts. An incremental backs up many more files than a full
> one, or so it seems, looking at the version history.
> [...]
> What could be the problem here? Something to do with the Samba version
> (3.5 vs. 4.1)?

so it would seem. Or maybe only a changed default configuration. I don't know
enough about smbclient to guess what it might be, but I know that smb.conf is
relevant for the smbclient command as well.

> What can I do to diagnose this?

A 'diff' of the two smb.conf files might shed some light, presuming it is
configuration related. Otherwise, I would expect the old smbclient package
(along with the same version samba-common) to work on the newer system. You
have several options for trying the downgrade (***Note: I am assuming you have
nothing installed on the system that depends on smbclient/samba-common, i.e.
no samba server, samba configuration tool etc. If in doubt, check with
'apt-cache rdepends samba-common smbclient'***):

- download the packages with a browser and install with 'dpkg -i',
- add a sources.list line for the old distribution on the host(s) with the
  new one and do something like

    apt-get update
    apt-get install --reinstall smbclient=xyz samba-common=xyz

  (where 'xyz' is the version of smbclient/samba-common on the old system;
  'apt-cache policy smbclient' might help figuring things out), or
- download the packages on the old system with

    apt-get -d install --reinstall smbclient samba-common

  (the '-d' switch means 'download only'). Copy them from
  /var/cache/apt/archives over to the new host and install with 'dpkg -i'.

You'll probably need to confirm the downgrade for 'apt-get' and possibly
use a '--force-downgrade' switch on dpkg, but I don't think so.

Presuming downgrading helps and you want to keep things that way, you
should put the packages on hold (so they won't be inadvertantly
upgraded at some point), and you should probably browse the changelogs to
see if there were any important security fixes that the old version misses.

Otherwise, 'apt-get install smbclient samba-common' or simply
'apt-get upgrade' should revert things to the new version.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: There might be some other changed dependencies that I missed. In
      general, apt-get should take care of things. If you use 'dpkg -i',
      you can follow that with 'apt-get -f install' to fix dependencies,
      though in awkward situations this occasionally tends to want to
      fix things by removing the package you just installed. Always
      check what 'apt-get' wants to do, and be very sceptical if it wants
      to remove packages.
      Bottom line: it's easy enough to attempt the downgrade and simply
      *not* do it if it turns out to require more than replacing the two
      packages with older versions.