BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupFilesExcludes using rsync being ignored

2014-10-14 00:01:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupFilesExcludes using rsync being ignored
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Tom Fallon <tom.r.fallon AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 05:58:43 +0200
Hi,

Tom Fallon wrote on 2014-10-13 11:29:43 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
BackupFilesExcludes using rsync being ignored]:
> [...]
> The config you suggested did work and on all other
> hosts now I can see the excludes being passed.

this was the thing I would have mentioned, had I read your messages earlier.
You should see log lines like "Sent exclude ..." shortly after where the
command is shown ("Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l ..."; after the protocol
version exchange, to be exact). As that is not happening, it would seem that
BackupPC doesn't see the exclude. Some possible causes spring to mind:

1.) You have somehow misspellt the variable name (e.g.
    "$Conf{BackupFileExcludes} = ..."), though I strongly doubt the GUI would
    do that ;-), and your quote seems correct, assuming you copied it into
    your message with cut&paste rather than by typing it (and inadvertantly
    correcting a typo).

2.) There is a second assignment to $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} that overwrites
    what you quoted with something different. Again, the GUI shouldn't
    generate such code.

3.) The assignment, which you don't quote fully (at least the closing brace
    and the following ";" are missing), continues in a way that makes it
    not happen. I'm not sure what would happen if it was syntactically
    incorrect (e.g. because of a missing closing brace), but my guess would
    be that BackupPC would complain. To be fully sure, you can test the syntax
    of your host.pl file with "perl -wc host.pl". However, something like

    $Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = { '/' => [ '/proc', '/sys' ] }
       if 0;

    would be syntactically correct and thus go unnoticed by Perl and BackupPC.

4.) The assignment contains a second value for the same hash key, e.g.:

    $Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {
      '/' => [ '/proc', '/sys' ],
      '/' => [ '' ],
    };

    The GUI might even generate that.

5.) You're looking at the wrong host config file :-). BackupPC might be
    using default settings (from config.pl) and ignoring the host config
    file (because it is misnamed, in the wrong directory, unreadable to
    the backuppc user, ...). That would not be totally obvious, unless
    your default settings are completely different (which I doubt).

> Oddly the one single
> machine I was using to test on last night did not work but I suspect
> that is a separate issue - I'm no longer seeing XFer errors where the
> system is trying to backup /proc/.

Does this mean that you have solved the problem, or that it works on some
machines and not on others?

There is something strange about your log file quote:

> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l userserver.domain.com  /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /

You seem to have removed the user name from the ssh invocation. At least,
"/usr/bin/rsync" is not a valid host name, and "userserver.domain.com" is
probably not a valid user name on that invalid host ;-).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger