BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupFilesExcludes using rsync being ignored

2014-10-12 16:30:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupFilesExcludes using rsync being ignored
From: Tom Fallon <tom.r.fallon AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 21:27:56 +0100
Hi all

this appears to be a common question for new backuppc users. Despite trawling this mailing list and google I am still unable to find a solution.

A newly built (due disk failure) Ubuntu 14.04 server running Backuppc 3.2.1 from Ubuntu repositories.

Backing up a load of Linux servers with RsyncShareName set as /

I want to then exclude subdirectories eg /proc, /sys, /tmp etc. I've copied the setup from another working backup server on which the excludes have all been added via the GUI with the paths as new keys so the /etc/backuppc/config.pl excludes section looks like this:

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '/var/tmp' => [
    ''
  ],
  '/pagefile.sys' => [
    ''
  ],
  '/var/spool' => [
    ''
  ],

The old server works as expected but on the new server the excluded list is being ignored and so the pool is filling up with contents of /proc etc.

Most forum posts I've read show a different syntax in the /etc/backuppc/config.pl file which I've managed to emulate by adding the exclusions to the GUI by adding / in the key then using the insert button to add excluded directories. This ends up with config.pl file looking more like what others are posting here but the exclusion files are still not being read.

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '/' => [
    'proc',
    'sys',
    '*/Cache',
    'RECYCLER',
    'System Volume Information',
    'dev',
    'lost+found',
    'tmp',

I am fairly sure I have the syntax of the exclude list correct now, though advice to the contrary is welcome. I've also tried editing the config.pl file using the * wildcard and am trying to run backup now but I suspect this will fail too.

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '*' => [
    'proc',
    'sys',

Am I missing something rudimentary here? I've compared a working and non-working backuppc server and cannot see anything different in the 2 configs, at least til I rejigged things above so am at a loss as to why one works and the other does not.

Any pointers gratefully received.

regards