BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes revisited

2014-10-11 06:14:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes revisited
From: Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:12:26 +0000

Hi all,

I set up BackupPC at home to make more systematic backups of mine and wifeys homefolders on the  samba-server and ran into the somewhat dreaded “Unable to read 4 bytes”-error.

Problem is *maybe* that the host to be backed up is running sshd on port 522.

What I’ve done so far is to create the passwordless login with my backuppc-user to the host, tested and this works.

As the backuppc-user I can login to the host using ssh over port 522 without entering a password and becoming root.

Rsync is used as the transfer method, BTW.

In the BPC web-GUI, I’ve added port 522 to RsyncClientCMD, so that now it reads:
$sshPath -q -x -l -p 522 root $host $rsyncPath $argList+

Was this correct to do?

I’ve tried to disable iptables on the host, with no change, still getting the 4 byte-error.

What am I missing?? Is there something with rsync not connecting properly maybe?

Hints appreciated.
Thanks.

--

BW,

           Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin

# Uppsala University

# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry

# Div of Org Pharm Chem

# Box 574

# SE-75123 Uppsala

# Sweden

#

# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482

# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b

# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se

# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail

# /\

#

# This message was not sent from an iProduct!

#