BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes revisited

2014-10-11 07:23:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes revisited
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 22:21:14 +1100
On 11/10/14 21:12, Sorin Srbu wrote:

Hi all,

I set up BackupPC at home to make more systematic backups of mine and wifeys homefolders on the  samba-server and ran into the somewhat dreaded “Unable to read 4 bytes”-error.

Problem is *maybe* that the host to be backed up is running sshd on port 522.

Yep, but that is easily solved.

What I’ve done so far is to create the passwordless login with my backuppc-user to the host, tested and this works.

As the backuppc-user I can login to the host using ssh over port 522 without entering a password and becoming root.

Rsync is used as the transfer method, BTW.

In the BPC web-GUI, I’ve added port 522 to RsyncClientCMD, so that now it reads:
$sshPath -q -x -l -p 522 root $host $rsyncPath $argList+

Was this correct to do?

No, this is your mistake. You need to know what all those options mean. -l is the username to use when authenticating with the remote host, you have provided the username as -p, and then I don't know what 522 and root are going to be interpreted as, I guess 522 would be the hostname, and root would become the path to rsync...

Try this:
$sshPath -q -x -l root -p 522 $host $rsyncPath $argList+

I’ve tried to disable iptables on the host, with no change, still getting the 4 byte-error.

What am I missing?? Is there something with rsync not connecting properly maybe?

Also, next time please provide the log file as that will usually provide more information if the solution isn't so easy.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev