BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to preserve deleted files in archive

2014-07-30 15:42:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to preserve deleted files in archive
From: "Dr. Boris Neubert" <omega AT online DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:41:10 +0200
Don,

Am 30.07.2014 um 20:57 schrieb Don Fike:
I am using BackupPC 3.3.0 with the rsync Xfer method.
If a file is deleted on a host I would like to keep this file in the BackupPC backup.
Is this possible?
I looked at the --max-delete=0 option for rsync but it appears this will cause rsync to exit.
that's not the way BackupPC is supposed to work.

BackupPC keeps a copy of every file ever backed up as long as at least one backup refers to it.

A backup is a snapshot of the rsync module at the time when the backup was run. If you want to resurrect a deleted file just go back to the latest backup that refers to a snapshot with the file still in existence.

As long as you keep a long enough history of backups, you will have access to any file that has ever been in the rsync module.

Or did I misunderstand your intention and you want to see even deleted files in the current/latest backup?

Best regards,
Boris