BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to preserve deleted files in archive

2014-07-30 15:41:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to preserve deleted files in archive
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:40:02 -0500
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Don Fike <fike AT icl.utk DOT edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am using BackupPC 3.3.0 with the rsync Xfer method.
> If a file is deleted on a host I would like to keep this file in the
> BackupPC backup.
> Is this possible?
> I looked at the --max-delete=0 option for rsync but it appears this will
> cause rsync to exit.

Maybe you've missed the point of the way backuppc pools content.   If
you want to keep old files, just keep the old backups that contained
them.  The unchanged files don't take additional space for each copy
so you can keep a fairly long history online.   You do have to visit
the backup from the time the file existed to find it though.