BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation.

2014-07-22 01:57:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation.
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:56:04 -0500
> Hi there,
>
> After going around the Internet in circles for a couple of hours I've
> just been looking at
>
> backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html
>
> to try to find the bit of documentation I'd missed that tells users
> that in order to use
>
> $Conf{XferMethod} = "smb"
>
> to back up a Windows box it's necessary to have the netlogon service
> running on the client.
>
> I can't find it anywhere.  Where should I be looking?
>
> --
>
> 73,
> Ged.

I'd recommend going straight to Microsoft for documentation on the
netlogon service.  The BackupPC documentation probably isn't the best
place for basic information about Microsoft networking.

I'm pretty sure the netlogin service isn't necessary to be running, so you
may be seeking specific confirmation for something that isn't correct.
(There are some nuances here that I won't get into, since you seem to be
looking for documentation rather than asking technical questions.)  You'll
find the Samba documentation is pretty detailed about how it works and the
interrelationship of the various services and protocols.