BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup destination is another server

2014-05-19 17:04:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup destination is another server
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 17:03:18 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 15:27:12 -0500 on Monday, May 19, 2014:
 > On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM, brononius
 > <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
 > > Hey,
 > >
 > > I want to put my backups on a different linuxserver (samba).
 > > This to keep the load on the fileserver as minimum as possible.
 > > Is this possible?
 >
 > It is not clear what you mean here.  The best approach is to run
 > backuppc on the machine with the archive disk attached, (and not the
 > same machine as the files being backed up).   If that is not possible,
 > it does work to mount the archive volume with nfs.

Just to echo Les, in many if not most modern run-of-the-mill setups,
LAN bandwidth is a bigger constraint than server processing
power. Reading and writing backups to a remote file server will
substantially increase bandwidth requirements -- at least 2X on
initial backups, and many times more on incrementals if using rsync.