BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Centralized storage with multiple hard drives

2014-03-21 17:31:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Centralized storage with multiple hard drives
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 22:20:18 +0100
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2014-03-20 17:41:25 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Centralized storage with multiple hard drives]:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT
> com> wrote:
> >
> > You keep telling me the theory of why more RAM would help.  I keep
> > telling you the FACT that it doesn't.  Repeating your theory doesn't
> > change the FACT that it doesn't help.
>
> On the contrary - you said it saved 15 minutes which is what,

2%.

> 900000 tracks of disk seeks?

No, more like random effects. How exact do you expect such a measurement to
be? How often do you think someone would repeat such a measurement when
already the first attempt conclusively shows that it is not worth the effort?
How many percent variance do you have in your backups of the same host and
data set?

> But it didn't matter to you.

This discussion doesn't matter to me. It's boring. Anyone here is free to use
or not use any RAID level he wants. As far as I'm concerned, anyone is free to
recommend using or not using any RAID level. I don't see the point, though, in
making such a recommendation, when the topic is not performance to begin with.

Anyone wishing to continue the discussion, have fun.

Regards,
Holger