BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Centralized storage with multiple hard drives

2014-03-19 12:27:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Centralized storage with multiple hard drives
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:25:38 -0500
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:53 AM, thorvald
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Let's say that the storage is not a problem for me and I can have as many TB
> or PT as I need. However the main assumption is that every box has got a
> separate "disk" to be backed up to. So now I faced the problem with BackupPC
> which does use pool or cpool to store files within :/. I don't need any
> compression or deduplication. Is there any way to backup files directly to
> pc/HOST/ instead ?

Backuppc does store files under pc/HOST/ - it just uses hardlinks to
pool/cpool to facilitate finding subsequent content matches..  Other
than a startup check to see that links work which you could probably
comment out in the code, I don't think anything would break if the
links failed due to permissions or multiple mounted file systems.  You
would just see a lot of errors in the logs.  However, unless you know
that the data is all uncompressable and unique, I wouldn't rule out
the usefulness of compression/pooling.  With rsync/rsyncd xfers, you
would at least get hardlinks to identical files in different runs on
the same target. On files that exist in the comparison backup run, the
links are made directly, assuming that the pool links are already in
place.

Can you elaborate on why you need to think in terms of a separate disk
per target?  You may run into some limits on mount points if you
actually try to mount that many filesystems.

> I'm not going to backup couple of hundreds servers using one BackupPC
> instance of course but I want to back up at least 100 servers per BackupPC
> instance.
>
> Is there something you could advise me ?

If you don't mind trying alpha code, you might want to look at the 4.0
version under development.  It uses a different scheme for pooling.