BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation on XferLOG

2014-03-12 15:06:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation on XferLOG
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:04:30 -0500
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
wrote:

> kpolberg wrote on 2014-03-10 11:32:35 +0100 [[BackupPC-users] Documentation
> on XferLOG]:
>> I was looking at my XferLOG's and noticed some log lines which I could
>> not understand.
>>
>>   pool     640   500/500      131068 2003.04.12 -
>> Påskeferien/100-0083_IMG.JPG
>>   same     640   500/500      108343 2003.04.12 -
>> Påskeferien/100-0084_IMG.JPG
>>
>> Basically, what is the difference between "pool" and "same" ?
>
> "same" means that it was an rsync backup and the rsync method found that the
> file was identical to the same file in the reference backup and created a link
> to that.
> "pool" means that the file was transferred (possibly as an rsync delta, so
> that does not necessarily mean a lot of data has crossed the network) and then
> found to exactly match a file already in the pool. A link was created to the
> pool file.

Note also that your reference is the last full backup, not necessarily
the 'last' backup, so a file that is changed or added in one
incremental will still be changed/new in subsequent incrementals (and
thus copied but matched in the pool) until another full run rebuilds
the base.  Unless you are doing incremental levels.