BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] USB dongle backup

2014-03-10 19:43:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] USB dongle backup
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:41:30 +0100
Hi,

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:43:09 -0400 Claude <claude AT phyto.qc DOT ca> wrote:
> As I'm using BackupPC since many years for all my computers and
> laptop I'm wondering if it is possible to setup an automated backup
> system to catch my many usb dongle as I'm comming back to the office.
>
> I want to insert these in a usb bay until next morning so backuppc
> will detect them and make a backup
>
> How to proceed. Is it possible to format these usb dongle to give
> them a unique name so backuppc will recognise them as they are
> plugged into the bay

I do something similar with my android phones:

I set up automount to mount the phones on fixed locations. Then I
created a backuppc 'host' with a custom ping command of
"sudo /var/lib/backuppc/bin/checkhandy.sh /misc/schieber" where
checkhandy.sh is:

===

#!/bin/bash

echo "Checking for directory of mobile phone (with arguments '$*')"
|logger

lockfile=/tmp/backuppc-lshw.lock

sleep $[$RANDOM%3]

if [ ! -e $lockfile ]; then
        touch $lockfile
        lshw >& /dev/null
        rm $lockfile
else
        while [ -e $lockfile ]; do
                sleep 5
        done
fi

if [ -z $1 ]; then
        dir=/misc/schieber;
else
        dir=$1
fi

ret=-1
[ -d $dir ] && ret=0

echo "Will return $ret for directory $dir" |logger

exit $ret
===

Then its just a matter of backing up /misc/schieber in this case.

Running lshw in that script is needed on my headless server as
otherwise it wouldn't recognise the partition-table on the mobile. With
an usb-stick you can probably do without.

Hope that helps,

Arnold