BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Starting with backuppc

2013-11-11 12:32:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Starting with backuppc
From: Carl Cravens <ccravens AT excelii DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:13:10 -0600
JLuc,

Did you run the init.d script as root?  The best way to start a process
normally started at boot on Debian or a derivative (such as Ubuntu) is with...

$ sudo invoke-rc.d backuppc start

This ensures that it starts in the same environment that it does at boot, and
doesn't pick up any oddities from your own environment.

In most cases, the package manager (APT) will start a newly-installed process
automatically.

$ ps -ef |grep BackupPC

will show if BackupPC is running:

$ ps -ef |grep BackupPC
raven      770   590  0 11:05 pts/3    00:00:00 grep BackupPC
backuppc  2437     1  0 Nov09 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC -d
backuppc  2464  2437  0 Nov09 ?        00:00:52 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_trashClean

BackupPC's "config.pl" is not the same as other "configure.pl" scripts... it's
not a script you run, but a configuration file that BackupPC loads when it
starts.  (BackupPC stores configuration and statistic data in Perl scripts that
it can just "run" to load.)  If you were to run it by hand, nothing would
happen, because it just sets a bunch of variables and exits.

Assuming BackupPC is running, I suspect the core problem is likely your
webserver configuration or access.  You said "my computer" so I assume BackupPC
is installed on your personal workstation.  Try...

http://127.0.0.1/backuppc/

If you don't get prompted for a username and login, what happens instead?  If
you get an error, report the error in detail and that will get us further along.

--
Carl D Cravens (ccravens AT excelii DOT com), Ext 228 (620.327.1228)
Lead System Architect