BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: rsyncd as a service on Windows 8

2013-10-29 13:51:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: rsyncd as a service on Windows 8
From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:49:29 +0100
On 29.10.2013 14:50, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu> wrote on 10/27/2013 02:26:06 PM:
>
>>> Have you checked the Event Viewer?  It usually shows you what's going
> on
>>> with rsync...
>
> This seemed to have gotten missed.  Is there anything in there?  Rsync is
> usually pretty expressive in the Event Viewer...
>
> Also, someone else mentioned about the possibility of suspend/hibernate. I
> don't back up clients, so all of my servers are up 24/7.  I'd look
> carefully into that:  I've found way too many applications that are
> unhappy about power saving.
>
>> Tim, do you mind sharing the CMD-file?
>
> Literally about 30 seconds of effort went into it...  My rsync daemon is
> installed in a directory called rsyncd and contains folder:  bin (which
> contains rsync.exe and needed DLL's), log (which contains the log, .pid,
> .lock, etc.), and etc (which contains rsyncd.conf and .secrets)
>

> @ECHO OFF
> REM Start Rsync Daemon v2
> IF EXIST rsync.exe GOTO PATH_OK
> ECHO You must start this script in the same directory as rsync.exe.
> GOTO END
> :PATH_OK
> DEL ..\log\rsyncd.pid
> START rsync.exe --config=..\etc\rsyncd.conf --daemon --no-detach
> :END
>

> I'm not worried about deleting an active .pid file (if it's even possible)
> because I don't use it for anything, and if a second rsync daemon tries to
> start it won't because it won't be able to attach to port 873.
>
> Like I said, not much effort in the script, but it works.
>
> I don't use services for starting my rsync daemon.  I use a scheduled task
> set to start the daemon on startup *and* every hour.  That way if it
> *does* crash, the daemon will restart automatically.
>
> I certainly could make the script much smarter:  check to see if there's
> an rsync process already running, etc.  But this little bit of effort
> works perfectly for my needs.

Thanks Tim,
OK, I thought that your script was a little more "smarter", that's why I
asked. I do believe that the problem I am having is that this Win8
client do "go to sleep". I'll try to disable the hibernating and see
what's happens.

Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!