BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Getting "file has vanished" errors from rsyncd when backing up a windows server, Mac files names?

2013-10-27 13:05:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Getting "file has vanished" errors from rsyncd when backing up a windows server, Mac files names?
From: David Nelson <david.nelson01 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 12:03:09 -0500
Hello All,

I have setup a backuppc server running Debian which I am using to backup a Windows 2008 Server disk which contains the network folders for ~200 students and staff in a small school. It's actually working pretty great! The only glitch I see so far is, "file vanished" errors on about 300 files. The common factor for these files is that they originated on MacOS 9 systems, and they have odd characters in the file names. The characters look like single quotes but if I copy the bad file names and paste them into a text editor or WordPad they disappear. Same with the rsyncd.log file where they are listed as vanished; the odd characters just show up as white space.

Now that I think about it I recall from back in my more Mac-centric days, these characters are probably "Curly Quotes". They looks like single quotes in the Windows file browser but given the way they are used in the file names they must show up on the Mac as a double quote. Here is an example file name:
Mac 19' ColorSync Profile

I do have the ClientCharset set to cp1252.

The same, "file vanished" errors occurs when I try to copy these files with rsync from the command line.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I am considering just whipping up a powershell script that will change the lousy file names since they don't appear to be recently created files. If I replace the "Curly Quotes" with normal double quote characters will rsync manage that ok?

Thank you!
David Nelson