BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] OT: rsyncd as a service on Windows 8

2013-10-26 08:55:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] OT: rsyncd as a service on Windows 8
From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:37:48 +0200
Hi List,

This is not strictly a BackupPC problem, but as here are many
knowledgeable people on this list using BackupPC to backup Windows host
I thought I give it a try.

I have been using rsyncd (cygwin) as a service under Windows XP
successfully for some time for use together with BackupPC. Now I am
trying to do the same with Windows 8. The "installation" of the service
went fine and the service started, but after some time it crashed and
would not restart. At this point I could also not start the rsyncd
manually. I found that there was still a .pid and a .lock file in the
"run" directory and if I removed both of them the rsyncd-service could
be started successfully as well as starting the rsyncd manually.

Any suggestions on
a)      how to find out why rsyncd dies in the first place
b)      how to fix this
c)      if this is "unfixable" how can I make rsyncd restart even if there
are a .pid and .lock file around

Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!