BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with backup via samba

2013-10-15 10:58:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with backup via samba
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:56:57 -0500
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
wrote:

> well, no, apparently not. See below. In any case, what does "Backup Operator"
> add that "Administrator" does not have?

I thought the theory was that the Administrator had to take ownership
of files if permissions otherwise prohibit access.  He is allowed to
do that but it shows in the audit log.  The Backup Operator is
supposed to have access without changing ownership.   But, I don't
know how well the theory matches practice.

> You're sort of saying, "after downgrading smbclient, downgrade smbclient". And
> "install samba" - why would you do that, unless, of course, it already is
> installed and you're just downgrading it? Actually, if samba really *is*
> installed and running, you should *seriously* consider an alternative way of
> providing a downgraded smbclient to BackupPC.

And an even better alternative is to install Cygwin with rsync over
ssh or rsyncd, cwRsync, or deltacopy (all rsync variations) on the
Windows boxes and avoid most of the mess of attempted
reverse-enginering of the windows file sharing protocol.