BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with backup via samba

2013-10-12 12:56:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with backup via samba
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 11:54:34 -0500
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM, bubolski
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> one more question, beacuse i got another backuppc and it works fine when i
> try to smbclient -U admin //hostname/C$ it's connected but when i try the
> same way and i switch hostname with ip so it's smbclient -U admin
> //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/C$ it doesn't connecting i tried ////ip/share and
> \\ip\share and \\\\ip\share

That might depend on the windows version.   I think older versions had
to use their netbios name where newer ones will work with the IP or a
dns name that might be different from their own netbios name.   But I
don't really know that much about windows quirks.   I think all of the
ones I currently access will take an IP.    Note that when the
sharename has a shell metacharacter like $ you need to keep it from
being expanded when you type it on the command line.  Enclosing the
whole \\host\share in single quotes will do it, or you can put a \ in
front of the $.  (Standard shell stuff...).  And you don't have to
double forward slashes which samba will accept, just the backslashes
which are processed by the shell.