BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] First attempt at backup PC, running into issues.

2013-10-01 16:39:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] First attempt at backup PC, running into issues.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:37:53 -0500
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM, derr12 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT
com> wrote:
> Hi guys, I wanted to demo backupPC so i installed it on a ubuntu server 12.04
> VM.
>
> all installed fine, I created a host (a windows machine with a public share),
> ran the manual backup.  Just sits in the host summary area with the state
> "backup in progress"
>
> All the shares on that host amount to about a hundred megs, so i dont think
> it's even starting.
>
> I suspect it has something to do with how im naming the smb share i want it
> to pull from. I tried the literal share name as it finds when I try and smb
> client via the server, ive tried just $C which i assume pulls from all the
> available shared directories.

C$ is the hidden administrative share for the C: drive.  You have to
use Administrator credentials to access it.

> Im not showing any errors logged after i start the backup, last logfile entry
> was;
> 2013-10-01 10:32:23 Started full backup on csr1 (pid=3774, share=My Documents)

Not sure how well spaces are handled in share names, but normally you
get a fairly quick disconnect with an error message if something is
wrong.  Do you have any firewalls in the path that might be dropping
(not rejecting)  your packets?

> Any suggestions?  Im sure im missing something simple, but i was not able to
> scrunge my answer from the documentation.

Try connecting to the \\server\share in question with smbclient in
interactive mode to see if you get better diagnostics.