BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with a restore

2013-09-09 17:24:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with a restore
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: David Williams <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 21:23:35 +0000
On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 02:21:27PM -0400, David Williams wrote:
> On 9/9/2013 1:53 PM, John Rouillard wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 12:07:03PM -0400, David Williams wrote:
> >>The single file was just a test...I will want to restore a whole
> >>bunch of files.  Does the backuppc documentation explain how to set
> >>up the ssh key for backuppc to execute as root on the target (which
> >>is in fact one and the same machine)?
> >              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >Then why bother with ssh at all?
> >
> >sudo -u backuppc  .../BackupPC_tarCreate -h linuxpc -n 612 \
> >   -s /photos -t -r /Pili -p /photos/ /Pili/IMG_0558.JPG | \
> >    sudo tar -xvf - --numeric-owner --same-owner C /restores
> >
> >should do the trick I would think.
> Ok, so what would go into the restore command then?  Would I just
> replace the restore command with the whole line above?  I am
> thinking not as it wouldn't be dynamic since it has the directory
> names in there.  I have no issues of skipping SSH just as long as I
> know what I need to put into the restore command in the config file.
> Sorry, as mentioned in my original email I don't know that much
> about Backuppc.

Ah sorry for confusing the issue. I forgot that you can do direct
restores via the web interface. I run with that feature disabled for
security so I didn't make the connection between the (unusual (to me)
format) output you posted and the web interface.

As Les followed up with, my method bypasses the web interface totally.

If you want the direct restore option to work, then getting ssh keys
is your first step.

Maybe http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html is of some help here?

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111