BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC processes getting oom-killed

2013-09-09 10:40:57
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC processes getting oom-killed
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 16:20:26 +0200
Hey folks,

I have a BackupPC server that has been in operation for almost
5 years. It's been running 3.1.0 for over two years, and over the
last few weeks, it's been exhibiting a problem whose symptoms are
best described by the following dmesg output:

  kernel: BackupPC_dump invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x201da, order=0, oom_adj=0
  […]
  kernel: Out of memory: kill process 21786 (BackupPC_dump) score 42689 or a
child
  kernel: Killed process 23932 (ssh)
  kernel BackupPC_dump invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x201da, order=0, oom_adj=0
  […]
  kernel: [4950662.832124] Out of memory: kill process 21786 (BackupPC_dump)
score 42154 or a child
  kernel: [4950662.832134] Killed process 21786 (BackupPC_dump)

The machine has had 2 Gb of RAM and 4 Gb of swap space since it was
born. The swap space is not being touched, meaning that the 2 Gb of
RAM seem to be enough (and have been for more than 4.5 years).

The backup storage resides on a dm-crypt LV, which in turn resides
on top of drbd with a local RAID10, as well as a RAID10 provided by
an identical machine sitting next to it on Gigabit.

I cannot identify a change to the machine, or a change in our
infrastructure, which could trigger these oom-kills.

I am led to believe that they are I/O-related, but so far, all
attempts at playing with /proc/sys/vm/dirty_{background_,}ratio
(both 10 at the moment) have not yielded a change.

Has anyone encountered and solved this? Or do you have an idea what
the root cause could be?

Thanks,

"i sometimes think that god
 in creating man
 somewhat overestimated his ability."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net